The Department of Civil Engineering is functioning at Govt. College of Engineering Kannur since 1986 The department offers a four-year course leading to the Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and two-year courses leading to Master’s degree in Computer Aided Structural Engineering (CAS). The department has produced several eminent engineers who have made significant contributions in the planning and execution of Civil Engineering projects in India as well as abroad. In the year 2006 the department was recognized as Research Center in Kannur university. Over four decades, the department has carved its niche in the areas of academics, research, consultancy, collaborative projects, and publications. The department has been actively involved in conducting conferences, workshops, FDP’s, site Visits, project tours and several students related programs to provide a platform for sharing and spreading the latest developments in the field of Civil Engineering.
"A major resource centre for imparting and contributing to the knowledge in Civil Engineering".
"To impart quality education to the students of Civil Engineering and mould them in to high end professionals, and excel in areas of research and consultancy to help develop a sustainable built environment hence be instrumental in the development of society and the Nation".
1. To excel in the professional practices of Civil Engineering by utilizing the acquired knowledge and technical skills.
2. The pursue study and research through Post Graduate Programs and research programs in advanced areas of Civil Engineering.
3. To take an efficient part in the decision- making process in fast - change in management atmospheres of infrastructural development.
4. To fulfill the commitment to the society by contributing to it by means of active involvement in matters connected with built and natural environment by adopting energy efficient and sustainable practices in civil engineering.
5. To develop strong interpersonal skills to form a part of and to lead a team, working towards attaining a common goal.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10.Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11.Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12.Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
1. Apply a through knowledge of Civil Engineering systems to take a vital part in the decision making and execution of activities related to sustainable infrastructural development.
2. Enrich the knowledge in various specializations of Civil engineering (Eg: Structural, Geotechnical, Transportation, Environmental Engineering) by means of research and innovative practices.